Friday, July 29, 2022

On belonging and seeking connection

 


 

Like classical music I also love literature. The last time I read Mary W. Shelley's classic novel Frankenstein was many moons ago. Earlier today I found in my FB feed the same quote I've loved, back in my youthful years:
 
"I was benevolent and good; 
misery made me a fiend. 
Make me happy, 
and I shall again be virtuous." 
 
~ Mary W. Shelley, 'Frankenstein' ~
 
The monster justifies his actions. He was benevolent and giving, gentle. He needed acceptance, love, a feeling of belonging, but instead, he continuously got no support but an irresponsible creator who abandoned and rejected him. 
 
Sometimes in life we give our best in many ways to a group or friends we believe we belong or believe we can belong, but somehow it's not good enough. We are never really accepted, rather, we are rejected and treated with indifference often in a subtle way. Eventually, we back off as we realise we've been pushed too hard… and somehow, we wonder why it has taken too long to get it, that we never really belong.


Photo credit:
I picked it up from a Facebook few years back. Sorry, artist is unknown. 



(c) 30 July 2022. Tel. Leaves from my Musings. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment